The District Council is the primary participatory governance advisory committee to provide the Chancellor with input and advice in addressing the strategic priorities and Board ends policies. It is distinguished as a council to reflect its overall responsibility for coordinating district-wide planning, including coordination, input and review of district policies and procedures and district-wide committees. The council must have direct representation from the other district advisory committees in order to ensure appropriate linkages with the other planning processes within the district. Members of the Council will be responsible for bringing information back to their constituent groups. This permits a constant flow of information between the colleges and the district office, and across all planning activities of the various entities and constituency groups.
The duties of the council shall include the following:
- Articulate a vision of the future for the district, reflective of its mission.
- Develop a set of long-range goals for the district through a collaborative process involving all segments of the district
- Collect, analyze, maintain, and disseminate institutional planning data.
- Develop planning assumptions and priorities to advance the strategic priorities and Board ends policies.
- Coordinate implementation of district planning priorities through district-wide committees.
- Coordinate the review of all proposals for district policies and administrative procedures changes to ensure that all appropriate constituencies have had adequate opportunity to review and comment on the proposed changes.
- Provide recommendations and information that reflects the views of their respective college councils and constituent groups.
- Accept responsibility for taking information back to the colleges and their respective groups for discussion, revision and input.
- Create standing committees and task forces when needed.
District Council Membership (27):
- Chair: Chancellor
- 7 Faculty (2 appointments by each Academic Senate [of which one will be the Academic Senate President and an additional Academic Senate member]; District Academic Senate President and 2 appointed by AFT 6157)
- 4 Classified staff appointed by CSEA, Chapter 363
- 4 Classified Professionals appointed by Classified Senate
- 2 Students from student government body (1 per campus)
- 2 MSC Representatives
- 2 Representatives from College Council (1 per campus)
- College Presidents
- Vice Chancellor, Administrative Services
- Vice Chancellor, Human Resources
- Vice Chancellor, Information Technology and Institutional Effectiveness