California Virtual Campus Exchange


The California Virtual Campus (CVC) Exchange is an innovative, student-centered tool that allows students currently enrolled in one California Community College to instantly enroll in online courses offered at other eligible colleges without filling out a separate application. This statewide initiative is designed to assist students in accelerating completion of their educational goals by increasing access to high-quality online courses, degrees, and certificates.

It is a fully digital resource that allows students to search for online classes that meet their needs, enroll in courses immediately, and continue working toward their educational goals regardless of any scheduling issues that may exist on their home campus.

Students benefit from having more and faster access to transfer courses not currently available on their campuses. The CVC Exchange lowers barriers to access for all students and is a great opportunity for our District to better serve students and help Californians from all over the state achieve their educational goals.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the CVC Exchange?

The CVC Exchange allows students to enroll in courses at eligible Teaching Colleges without filling out a separate application. It also gives California Community Colleges students greater access to online courses and allows them to complete their program on time.

How do students find classes they are looking for?

Students can search for courses at using a variety of criteria such as Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum ( IGETC) and CSU GE requirements; substitution courses for specific, oversubscribed home college courses; and courses that are part of specific programs or pathways. Further integration with programs and pathways will provide students with different ways to search for the classes they need.

Which college receives credit when a student from a Home College enrolls in a course at a Teaching College?

With the new statewide funding formula, cross-enrollment is mutually beneficial. The Home College receives the completion credit and the Teaching College receives the apportionment credit.

Does a student's Home College priority registration status carry over to the Teaching College?

Cross-enrollment is only available during the participating colleges’ open registration period; therefore, all eligible students regardless of priority status have equal access and opportunity to register for courses.

Which students are eligible to participate in cross-enrollment?

Only students enrolled in at least one credit course at participating colleges are eligible to cross enroll. Students must also meet the following requirements:

  • Have at least a 2.0 GPA or not yet established a GPA at the Home College
  • Have no outstanding fees at the Home College
  • No out of state address on file at Home College
Is a student’s financial aid affected if they enroll in a class at another college?

All participating Teaching Colleges have signed a Federal Financial Aid agreement. As such CVC Exchange students simultaneously enrolled at both Home and Teaching College may be able to receive federal and state financial aid funds based on combined units taken at both colleges. Eligibility will be determined by the student’s Home College.

Does a student's DSPS status automatically transfer to the Teaching College?

A student's Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS) status or accommodations determination will not automatically transfer to the Teaching College. Students using the Exchange will have to apply separately at both colleges to receive DSPS services and classroom accommodations.

Students using the CVC Exchange are subject to the payment policies of the college that is offering the class, i.e. the Teaching College. Since a college may have a drop for non-payment policy and deadline date; it is in a student’s best interest to pay for classes at the time of enrollment in order to secure a seat in the class. Even if a student initially chooses the credit card option to pay for classes, eligible students are still allowed and encouraged to apply for both the CCPG and Federal Financial Aid at time of payment. If approved for either or both CCPG and Federal Aid, students who may have used the credit card option will be appropriately reimbursed.

  1. Pay with credit card The option to pay with a credit card through the payment portal is the most immediate payment option available to Exchange students. This option is strongly recommended to avoid being dropped for non -payment.
  2. California Colleges Promise Grant (CCPG) Students who are eligible California residents, may apply for the California Colleges Promise Grant (CCPG) which can waive enrollment fees for qualified students for the entire school year.
  3. Federal Financial Aid If an Exchange student is qualified to receive Federal Financial Aid from their Home College, to help cover the cost of tuition and fees for classes being taken at the Teaching College; they may request Federal Financial Aid from their Home College.
Do students need to request their Exchange class transcripts be sent to their Home College?

Students wanting to use the Exchange must consent to have their transcripts automatically shared from the Teaching College to the Home College at the end of the term. The Exchange informed consent statement at time of enrollment specifies that a student must consent to having their transcripts automatically shared with the Home College. This consent acts as the request for any classes taken through the Exchange.

Is the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) the same as the California Promise Program at my campus?

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) and the California Promise Program are two separate programs. Additionally, the eligibility requirements between the two programs are very different.

The California Promise Program provides first-time college students the opportunity to attend tuition free for their first two years and is exclusively for first-time college students who enroll full-time.

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) is a fee waiver for ALL eligible students to assist with the enrollment fees ($46/semester unit or $31 per quarter). Students are expected to reapply every year to qualify for the waiver.

While the CCPG is identified as a payment option for Exchange students, there is no such provision for students participating in a Promise Program. Students taking classes in the Exchange will have to inquire with their Home College’s Promise Program if they would like to use Exchange classes to fulfill their Promise Program requirements.

Will faculty be able to see if any cross-enrolled students are in their class? Do they need to do anything differently?

Only relevant college personnel with the appropriate permissions will have access to cross-enrolled student records. Once enrolled in a course, cross-enrolled student information will not be reflected any differently to the instructor than students who used the Home College’s regular registration process.

How do students enroll in a course that is not offered at a "Teaching College?”

Students are directed to the college's CCCApply page and should apply using the regular process.