San José City College & Evergreen Valley College encourages all members of our community to be Active Bystanders against sexual violence. Please remember to ensure your own safety at all times.
Simple Steps to Becoming an Active Bystander
- Notice the Situation.
- Interpret it as a problem
- Feel empowered to act
- Know what to do
- Intervene safely
How to Intervene
- Tell another person
- Ask a person you are worried about if they are okay
- Distract or redirect individuals in unsafe situations
- Ask the person if they want to leave
- Call campus police or 911
What Can I Do to Be Safe
- Have a plan.
- Watch out for others you know.
- Talk to your friends before going out.
- Go out with as a group and come home as a group.
- Never leave your friends behind in potentially risk situations.
- Walk together in groups or make sure others have safe rides.
- Diffuse situations that look dangerous/ risky.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Be aware of the amount of alcohol you are consuming and its effects.